Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Updated the install instructions for Java and Firefox and Chrome in my online training course

I have updated the install instructions for Java and Firefox and Chrome in my Selenium WebDriver With Java Online training course.

For a number of reasons:
  • the mac instructions were never fully documented since they were the same as Windows
    • But now I’ve simplified the Mac install by using Homebrew
    • and now Mac and Windows instructions are detailed
  • we used FirefoxDriver to make starting easier
    • but Firefox 48 means that FirefoxDriver doesn’t work out of the box
    • so now the instructions cover Firefox Marionette GeckoDriver and Chrome ChromeDriver
  • Selenium 3 is coming along and will change the install
    • now the install is ready for Selenium 3
I know I will have to update the start of the course again when Selenium 3 does get a full release, but the start of the course has much fewer ‘patches’ and is pretty simple to follow.

On the course, the install instructions are split over 5 videos for each platform to make them easier to watch.

I have also released the install instructions on YouTube, where you will be treated to adverts if you watch them, but they are basically the same and use the two new Github projects I created to make installing Java and WebDriver easier.
startUsingJavaJunit supports the install for "Java For Testers" book.

startUsingSeleniumWebDriver supports the install for Selenium WebDriver With Java Online training course

No comments:

Post a Comment